Ask a Librarian

Answered By: Stella Beratlis
Last Updated: Apr 09, 2020     Views: 5

For county government documents, we call this source type a report. Look for author name(s), document title, date published, and publisher. If there are no individual author names listed, use the county agency as the author name. 

A great tool for coming up with a Works Cited entry and an in-text citation is NoodleTools Express, which you can find listed on the MJC Library & Learning Center website under "Research Help." After opening NoodleTools Express, select the citation style you're using (MLA, APA, Chicago) and--for THIS type of source, choose Nonperiodicals > Report (Technical/Research) from the dropdown menu. 

You'll be taken to a form-based page where you should first choose Print, Website, or Database from the top tabs--depending on where you found this report. I'm guessing you got it from a website. 

Fill out the info for the source. NoodleTools has tips on how to enter the info. Make sure you check the "issued by a government department/agency" box next to Title of Report area. Fill in the info you are asked to provide, and then click "Save." The next page will be your source, formatted correctly for the Works Cited or Reference list. 

You can copy and paste this Works-Cited entry into your doc. 

Before exiting, look for the "how do I cite this in-text" link--click the link for a pop-up window telling you how to cite the source in your text. 

Best of luck! 


Stella Beratlis, West Campus Librarian


Other Ways To Get Help

Libguides iconResearch guides created by librarians help you jump start your research.

 Text: (209) 710-5270
email icon Email:


YouTube videos


How-To Videos