Chat With A Librarian

Answered By: Iris Carroll
Last Updated: Jun 29, 2016     Views: 263

Schools must annually publish a SARC (School Accountability Report Card) which provides lots of information about the school, including dropout and graduation rates. Just Google a school name and SARC to find them. You can also find SARC reports on the Modesto City Schools website.

You can also search for newspaper articles. We have the Modesto Bee archived for decades in Access World News, which you can find under the Find Articles link on our home page. I searched the lead/first paragraph for dropout rate and got a number of results, ranked by date. When I changed the ranking to relevance, some older articles  that look like they will be helpful moved to the top. 

Also under Find Articles, you will find CQ Researcher, a database of articles on social issues such as yours. I did a search there for high school dropout and got a number of articles. The one called "Fixing Urban Schools" was updated in 2012 and talks about the reasons why students drop out.

A database similar to CQ that you should also try is Issues & Controversies by Facts on File.

Other Ways To Get Help

Libguides iconResearch guides created by librarians help you jump start your research.

 Text: (209) 710-5270
email icon Email:


YouTube videos


How-To Videos