Answered By: Iris Carroll Last Updated: Jun 29, 2016 Views: 127
Thanks for your question. NATS, the National Association of Teachers of Singing, publishes a journal entitled, Journal of Singing, which has been known by other names over the years. The MJC Library has full-content access (known as full-text) from 2007 to the present in several of our article databases.
There are two ways to use WorldCat, the library catalog, to discover if the MJC Library has access to your journal. You can follow the directions in our WorldCat @MJC research guide below.
Use the WorldCat search box on the library's homepage. (There is a video below showing these steps):
1. Enter the journal title in the WorldCat search box from the library's homepage.
2. Be sure to enclose the title in quotation marks.
3. Press your Enter key or the Go button on the screen.
4. Select the journal title from the results list. For example, I'll select Journal of singing.
5. Next, you’ll see on the screen that you can either Find a copy online or Find a copy in the library .
a. Under Find a copy online, if you see Access Journal, that means that the MJC Library has an online version of your journal in one of our library databases.
b. Under Find a copy in the library, if you see either MJC or Columbia College listed, that means that we have a print version of that journal at either MJC or Columbia College libraries. If you only see Columbia College, that probably means that they have access to an online version of the journal for themselves.
c. Also, Under Find a copy in the library, if you see WorldCat listed, that means that another library somewhere in the world has a copy of that journal. If that is the case, you can Request the Item.
6. For the Journal of Singing, I can just click Access journal under Find a copy online to begin searching for articles within that journal.
7. Search for your topic in the Search within publication box. For example I could search on the topic of voice instruction.
8. I then see the resulting articles down the middle of the page.
9. I can use the box on the left of the screen to limit my search. For example, I can limit my search to full-text, or complete, articles.
10. Then I can limit my search to Articles only, getting rid of book reviews and columns.
11. To view an article, I can simply click on its title or on the links to Full-text or PDF pages.
Once I am inside an article, I can use the Tools on the right to work with it.
Watch the video below to see how it's done.